Comment 1: 4/12/12
Residency Program Name: Dalhousie University – Anatomical Pathology, General Pathology, Haematopathology
Program Website: http://pathology.medicine.dal.ca/residency.html
Residency Program Director:
- Dr. P. Barnes (AP) / Dr. D. Werner (GP) / Dr. A. Shawwa (HP)
Number of residents (per year / total):
- 1-3 (match to “lab medicine” – AP – GP (AP/CP) – haemepath
- 11 (AP), 6 (GP), 4 (HP)
- High volume, high quality surgicals, extra rounds in high volume specialties (GI, derm), world-renown teaching staff, lots of grossing and autopsy experience, grads pass boards, get fellowships, jobs, lab director course, enthusiastic teaching staff.
- Decreasing research/conference funding, lack of resident-dedicated grossing bay.
Average work hours on surg path?
- ~50-60 hours a week.
Are you allowed to do external rotations?
- Dr. Ian Wanless (Hepatopathologist), Dr. N. Walsh (Dermatopathologist)
Do you feel you have:
Adequate preview time?
- Yes (usually 24 hours).
Adequate support staff (P.A.’s, secretarial, etc.)?
- Yes (4 PAs, will be 5 soon, many secretaries).
Adequate AP Teaching?
- Yes – lots of one-on-one, academic half day, multiple rounds.
Adequate CP Teaching?
- N/A (writer in AP program; can't comment).
Are Fellowship Programs Offered? Please list:
- Yes – Dermatopathology, Transfusion Medicine, AP.
CAP Standardized Fellowship Application Accepted?
Comment 2: 3/26/2013
Program name: Dalhousie University - Nova Scotia (Can)
Program Director: Dr. P. Barnes (AP); Dr. A. Thoni (General Pathology)
Number of residents (per year / total): 1-3/10 (AP); 1-2/6 (General Pathology)
Visas sponsored? No
Average work hours on surgical path? 60 hrs/week
Are you allowed to do external rotations? Yes
Do you feel you have:
· Adequate preview time? Yes
· Adequate reading time? Yes
· Adequate support staff (PA’s, Secretarial, etc…)? Yes
· Adequate AP Teaching? Yes
· Adequate CP Teaching? Yes - room for improvement
· Graduated responsibilities? Yes
Fellowship Programs offered? Please list. Dermatopathology; AP
CAP Standardized Fellowship Application Accepted? Unknown
Additional benefits to trainees (Book Fund, Travel Fund, Other resources): Book fund/review course ($1000 - Senior year); conference travel if presenting ($2000CND/yr); ~$1500/yr for books in residents' room (not /resident)
Famous Faculty: Ian Wanless (Hepatobiliary); Noreen Walsh (Derm)